AlbumEasy - Introduction
V3.0 - New November 2103
I developed AlbumEasy because I wanted an easy to use layout program for designing custom stamp album pages.
There are a number of good album layout programs tailored to philately, most of them being fairly reasonably priced.
However, I find that laying out pages using a mouse can be fairly time consuming. I wanted a quicker method.
AlbumEasy is the result. It takes a simple text file containing a description of the album pages as input,
and generates a PDF file as output. Click on
UnionSouthAfrica.pdf. for an example of an AlbumEasy generated file.
AlbumEasy is free of charge. I developed it for my own use, but as I felt that other stamp collectors might find it useful,
I have made it publicly available.
The first version of AlbumEasy was a command line application, which worked for me. However I tend to forget that many people
are not familiar with the command line. I have therefore decided to upgrade AlbumEasy so that there are
GUI and command line versions of the application for both Linux and Windows.
In order to use AlbumEasy you require:
- A PC running Windows or Linux
- A printer
- The freely available Adobe Reader
- A text editor; notepad would work, or your favourite word processor.
In the later case, please remember to save your files as plain text (*.txt).
I highly recommend that you obtain a full featured text editor.
There are a number of very good editors available, both free and commercial, that would be more than suitable.
A few names spring to mind;
- Edit Pad
- Programmer's File Editor
- Edit Plus 2
- Added GUI versions for both Windows and Linux.
The Windows version has a standard installation program.
- Added an additional command; STAMP_ADDX which allows for two lines of text under each stamp.
- Fixed the font encoding, now supports European characters with accents and diacritical marks.
- Added ROW_ALIGN_TOP and ROW_ALIGN_BOTTOM commands. These
specify whether a row of stamps with unequal heights, should be aligned on the top or bottom edge.
- Added PAGE_START_VAR and STAMP_ADD_TRIANGLE commands.
- Support for international character sets and a less restrictive choice of fonts - to add these features required a complete rewrite of AlbumEasy.
- New commands:ROW_ALIGN_MIDDLE, STAMP_ADD_BLANK, STAMP_ADD_DIAMOND and STAMP_ADD_TRIANGLE_INV
- Internal architecture has been improved to simplify adding new commands in the future.
- Open source.