Click to expand
AlbumEasy came about because I was looking for an easy to use page layout program for creating custom stamp albums.
Although there are a number of good drawing programs that have become popular with philatelists, I found that laying out pages
by drawing and positioning boxes with a mouse can be fairly time consuming. While searching for a quicker method I came
up with the idea for AlbumEasy which processes a text file containing a description of the album pages which it then uses to generates a PDF file as output.
Admittedly this style of working does not suit everyone, but many users who may have initially considered this to be awkward soon
discovered that once they took the time to understand the way that AlbumEasy works, it is a fast and efficient way of creating albums to house their
collection or perhaps to create displays pages suitable for philatelic exhibitions.
AlbumEasy is completely free of charge. I developed it for my own use, but as I felt that other stamp collectors might find it useful,
I subsequently made it publicly available.
The current version of AlbumEasy is available for both the Linux and Windows (XP, Vista, 7 and 8) operating systems.
It is also possible to run AlbumEasy on the Apple Mac but requires more effort on behalf of the user (details on the download page).
In order to make use of AlbumEasy you would also require:
- A PDF viewer such as the freely available Adobe Reader
- A good text editor.
Although it is possible to use a basic editor such as Notepad included with Windows,
or even your favourite word processor (in the later case, please remember to save your files as plain text *.txt),
but it is highly recommended that using a full featured text editor will allow one to become a great deal more productive.
There are a number of very good editors available, both free and commercial, that would be more than suitable. Here are some links to a few excellent free text editors.
V3.0 (Current version - November 2013)
- Support for international character sets and a less restrictive choice of fonts - to add these features required a complete rewrite of AlbumEasy.
- New commands:ROW_ALIGN_MIDDLE, STAMP_ADD_BLANK, STAMP_ADD_DIAMOND and STAMP_ADD_TRIANGLE_INV
- Internal architecture has been improved to simplify adding new commands in the future.
- Open source - the source code is now freely available.
V2.3 (July 2006)
- Added PAGE_START_VAR and STAMP_ADD_TRIANGLE commands.
V2.2 (April 2006)
- Added ROW_ALIGN_TOP and ROW_ALIGN_BOTTOM commands. These specify whether a row of stamps with unequal heights, should be aligned on the top or bottom edge.
V2.1 (October 2005)
- Fixed the font encoding, now supports European characters with accents and diacritical marks.
V2.0 (September 2005)
- Added GUI versions for both Windows and Linux. The Windows version has a standard installation program.
- Added an additional command; STAMP_ADDX which allows for two lines of text under each stamp.
V1.0 (May 2005)